Hypnosis Scripts, Downloads & Training Since 2000 Hypnotic World

Posted in the General Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Forum
By Anenta Kikino   

Anenta Kikino
Anenta Kikino
Jan 11th, 2023 05:02

I just want to share my first hypnotherapy session with my cousin's partner. He was a smoker for 17 years. Smoking 30 cigarettes a day. After the first session he did not had any desire to smoke. He has been 7 days a non smoker, he is dealing with the nicotine withdrawal now. My question is how long does the therapist need to monitor the client after he quiet smoking? Does the client need to continue listening to the recordings and does self-hypnosis? Is any researches for clients who quit smoking with hypnotherapy and started again?

Faith
Faith
Staff
Jan 11th, 2023 08:54
Re:

Hi Anenta, well done with helping your cousin's partner to quit. Many ex-smokers are fine with just one hypnosis session but as your client is struggling I would recommend offering a follow-up session. People often revert to their old coping mechanisms so it's not unusual for them to start again in times of stress but we have scripts on Hypnotic World to help with this.

Veronica Pardo
Veronica Pardo
Jan 12th, 2023 10:14
Re:

Congrats! What I learnt is to offer 3 sessions for smoking cessation. Normally they just use 1, but 2 is also normal and 3 less so but happens. Could you please share the script you used? Would love to take a peek :)

William
William
Jan 13th, 2023 13:13
RE @anenta

I would also like to see the script you used if possible, I personally do 3 sessions for smokers and up to 5 for the long term stubborn ones usually the ones who have already been told by Drs. and such that they are going to die if they don't quit now.

Jan 15th, 2023 23:40
Re:

I agree with William. Reinfonrcement is an absolutely must. Depending on the nicotine intake, the patches and/or chewing gum is useful. Alternatively minty sweets work to some extent

Carol Hutchinson
Carol Hutchinson
Jan 19th, 2023 16:47
Re:

I usually find you need to re-entrench the suggestions in subsequent sessions, I usually do 3 all up. I have heard of people quitting after one session, but then start again months down the line. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but the subconscious mind needs repitition to firmly anchor suggestions, so its better to do more than not enough.

Michael
Michael
Jan 20th, 2023 07:14
Re:

Well done Anenta, sounds like you did a good job.
My take on smokers is a full and complete initial consultation gives you lots of information from the client why's / doubts/worries etc. You give them lots of information / ask questions/ prep them or stopping. Personally, that is my initial consultation done. No hypnotherapy in the first session, though I realise we all work differently.
I tell them to go away and think about it, this is useful because it often makes them want your services more, and therefore the more likely they are to be successful if they return. If they don't come back, then nothing is lost. Better to have a client wait a few months until they are ready, then work with them when they are only lukewarm to the idea.
-
When they come back we discuss any thoughts or issues from the initial consultation. I would have told them in the initial consultation they can elect to stop smoking in one or two sessions. If they have tried previously they often want the two if it's their first attempt or super determined one session. The two sessions are structured, the first prepares them for stopping by only having conscious smokes, and by that, I mean being aware of opening the packet, and changing from a lighter to matches. Every smoker has their own little routine of smoking from opening the packet, lighting up, the hand they hold the cigarette in etc. All these are disrupted. Then the second session stops them and reinforces the stopping. I don't monitor after that. I only monitor clients and patients if I am researching or patient piloting. They know where you are if they need more help. If you are too keen to monitor, subconsciously you are inviting doubt about your session to creep in. In my opinion at least :) Again well done you.

Debra Pedretti
Debra Pedretti
Jan 23rd, 2023 01:53
Re:

Well done Anenta, I am still fairly new. Was there a particular script you referred to? Appreciate as I have a client with a smoking issue soon.

Nicole Hallett
Nicole Hallett
Jan 25th, 2023 08:59
Re: Stop Smoking

I would recommend getting your client´s to track their progress and get them to rate themselves from 0 - 10 with 10 being a non-smoker as to how they are at week 1, month 1, month 2, etc ... and to reward themselves. Perhaps put the money they would have spent on cigarettes into a pot and use that money to reward themselves (not with food or booze though). If they have a set-back, that they understand it doesn´t mean they failed and are no longer a non-smoker. If this happens you could have another session with them and go over how they would handle the situation if it occured again. At that session, get them to think of other scenarios in which they think could potentially make them want a cigarette, examine why and figure out what they can do instead.

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

2023 Workshops
Learn new skills and meet therapists - book your place at our upcoming workshops.
We Accept

We accept these payment methods

Online Support
Live Help
Talk to one of our
helpful advisors live online here or contact us via email here
Customer Reviews

“I find the selection of scripts provided excellent. I am enjoying going through them. I have used several so far on my clients and they work a treat.”

John O'Toole

Join &
benefit

Unlimited Access for Hypnotherapists

Access over 1,300 hypnosis scripts, forms & articles, online therapist support, directory listing and more:

How can we help?