Hypnosis Scripts, Downloads & Training Since 2000 Hypnotic World

New practitioner questions

Posted in the General Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Forum
By Clarissa   

Clarissa
Clarissa
May 09th, 2021 03:41
New practitioner questions

Hi there, So, Im just nearing the end of a cert course in Hypnotherapy. Being qualified in NLP I am fascinated by all things subconscious, so it was a no brainer. My question is - I am constantly seeing comments about "a good practitioner doesnt use scripts". But then we have a great library of them here. What are your opinions on this? I get that we have to be confident enough to be able to adapt and change where needed with a client, but just wonder about the script thing. I know for now, I need them.
My other question is this - I see a lot of comments here in the forum about weight loss and smoking sessions and how a lot of the time they dont work - I wonder what your experiences of success rates are? Of course I know that it is only our job to facilitate and guide the person in these issues and that each person is very different, not one size fits all, etc, but can you tell me about successes? (absolutely no criticism intended, just really interested - can you tell Im super analytical!!!).
And finally, how many practices did you do before you felt confident enough to go out and start? I mean, we could keep practicing and be full of imposter syndrome, but.... when is the time to take the leap?
If you got this far, thank you!! Looking forward to hearing opinions!

Dan
Dan
May 09th, 2021 11:36
Re: New practitioner questions

Hi Clarissa,

To answer your question about effectiveness with certain issues, I think it's fair to say that it will tend to improve over time. So much of what you do as a hypnotherapist comes down to learning what works best for you and your clients, as well as developing little "tricks" and techniques that improve the quality of your sessions. I'm talking about incorporating things like time distortion, to use an example. It's quite a simple convincer that makes a huge impression on a client. There are a lot of little things like that you'll pick up by reading books by other hypnotherapists. I can honestly say that what I do now uses maybe 20% of what I learned doing NLP and hypnotherapy courses. They're great, but you'll just pick things up along the way. For instance, I don't really use Time Line Therapy anymore because some clients find it too conceptual. I still use elements of it, but I've kind of made my own technique out of it. I found that in its full form it took a very long time, created frustration for the client and they sometimes felt "short changed" as TLT doesn't lend towards a very deep trance (or, at least, a perception of deep trance) in most cases.

At first, you'll probably read almost verbatim from a script, and that's fine - you just have to make it not sound like you are. I don't use them much anymore, but I sometimes do and there's really nothing wrong with them. You'll start writing your scripts over time anyway as you realise that there's nothing out there that you can find that will suit this or that particular client.

My biggest piece of advice though, would be to make a decision about what type of client you're dealing with before you start a session. That might sound like it goes against NLP best practices, but hear me out. You'll develop a kind of sense for whether a client is going to respond well to a direct induction and, while you might not always be right, to err on the safe side I would always have a very indirect induction (maybe a nice long Ericksonian one) available and use that if you're not sure. Almost no one doesn't respond to a good indirect induction, but lots of people just don't gel with direct ones.

Be choosy with convincers. While they're fantastic and they help to deepen trance, they can hurt a session if the client feels they've failed. Always, even if they have failed, tell them that they've done exactly what you wanted them to do, e.g. "that's right - you've demonstrated that you always have the choice as to whether you'd like to open your eyes or not". Always start with very easy convincers/tests.

Try to keep your language as Ericksonian as possible (at least at first). While Erickson isn't the be all and end all of hypnotherapy, his techniques are a safer bet than direct approaches. As I said above, I think the vast majority of people will be fine with an indirect approach, but a decent chunk of poeple will NOT be ok with direct techniques.

Also, CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE. You won't feel confident (impostor syndrome is an awful feeling and I had it for a long time) when starting and you might even feel almost sick with worry ("am I good enough?", "they'll see through me" etc.) and that's absolutely normal. Just make sure you convey confidence to the client. I focus almost entirely on insomnia within my business and I've helped clients recover their sleep completely without any hypnosis or NLP - purely by conveying my complete and utter confidence that their sleep will improve. I'm a big believer that a client will respond to that confidence and resolve the issue themselves in a lot of cases.

Lastly, the pre-talk is so important, I can't stress enough. Read some books from hypnotherapists and incorporate anything you think is worthwhile in your pre-talk. If you make it clear that hypnosis isn't this crazy alternate dimension that you go to, so to speak, people will be more inclined to think they've been hypnotised. If you just jump in with no suggestibility tests or pre-talk, you make things needlessly hard for yourself. Also, every single session, make it clear that there will be noise around them and that's fine. "The noise can help you to relax" or to "bring your focus back to my words", something like that and then noise won't bother them. Trust me, it works a treat.

I won't sugar coat it, your first few months can be very nerve wracking and hard work. They're also some of the most worthwhile because it's such a thrill when you get great results. Just back yourself and be the expert that the client wants you to be. They don't know you're new, they don't know you might have another job, they don't know you're s***ing yourself, so keep it that way and they'll see you as the competent expert you appear to be. That's all that matters - the client's perception. Use scripts, but speak them very slowly to give you time to change the wording as you go if it doesn't sound like something you'd say.

There's lots more you'll learn, but if you just accept that that's the case and you can be flexible in sessions and think on your feet, you'll be fine. My failsafe if I ever stuff up is to say that I'm going to be quiet now for some time as such and such happens, or such and such change starts to take place subconsciously, so that I can then think about what I'm going to do or say next. If you have hypnotic world on your pone, you can even use that time to quickly get a script to salvage the session if you need to.

Good luck Clarissa, you'll be fine. Just accept that sessions will be a little stressful for you from time to time as you're starting, but that will fade over time as you get better and learn more.

Cheers,

Dan

Amy Orledge
Amy Orledge
May 10th, 2021 02:40

Wow Dan what a generous and helpful response!

Clarissa
Clarissa
May 10th, 2021 09:53

Dan, thank you so so much. I really appreciate your response. It was exactly what I needed to hear! And maybe many like me!

Melanie
Melanie
May 11th, 2021 07:31

Hey Clarissa/Dan
Firstly thank you Clarissa for posting that question and thank you Dan for o brilliantly answering it! It has helped me no end too. I qualified last July and was thrown in the deep end doing hypnosis over zoom, I still feel all of those things but understand the only way to not feel that way is to do more hypnosis.
Thank you both of you - really helpful :)
Mel

Chris H
Chris H
May 12th, 2021 12:39

Thanks Dan
That was a great post and has answered a few doubts I had about using scripts until I have become more experienced. Thanks Clarissa for the initial post.

Deanna Byrne
Deanna Byrne
May 13th, 2021 05:45

I find the scripts give me the road map. I do use them but tend to add as I go depending on the clients state of trance etc.

Jamie Keene
Jamie Keene
May 13th, 2021 09:12

So with regards to scripts, I feel they are great for beginners and give me a great road map to follow but I adapt them accordingly to each client adding and subtracting what is/isn't deeded.
With regards to smoking cessation I have yet to find a client 100% ready to give up. One client scored himself 10/10 ready to give up on the telephone but on arrival in my office he dropped to an 8. Guess what? He didn't stop. I told him unless he is ready to quit it was unlikey to work but he wanted to try and as he had paid in advance he wanted to continue despite me offering a full refund.
With regards to weight loss my clients are having an amazing success. That I believe is because they are all ready and wanting to loose the weight. 5 clients so far all loosing between three and four pounds per week. One has even lost 17.5 pounds in four weeks and she is over the moon (as am I for her). I have been using a traffic light box system where the red box is bad foods, amber is so so and green is healthy and full of water. Seems to be working well. One client wanted to stop drinking lager. Two hours after the session she tried a bottle of lager thinking hypnotherapy wouldn't work on her. First mouthful she thought it tasted funny. Second she vomited it back up. She is now a true believer in the power of hypnotherapy.

Anna Murray
Anna Murray
May 20th, 2021 01:51

Dan, this response is amazing! Really enjoyed reading that, thank you so much!

Margaret Harrington
Margaret Harrington
May 20th, 2021 02:30

Some great feedback and yes Dan fantastic to give such great advice! And I can only reiterate what was said... It really is confidence and more confidence! The more you do the better you become, simply put. This is an amazing resource to go and use as a guideline for your scripts. Induction is key and really relating everything personally to the client is necessary and the positive suggestions all relatable. Therefore the secret for me is the intital consultation in finding out exactly the negatives, associations of addicitons, etc and incorporating all of this into your session/s.. Best of luck Clarrisa, you will do brilliantly.

Dan
Dan
May 20th, 2021 03:51

Not a problem! I remember how lost I felt at first when I was starting out, so I think it's always nice to put things in perspective and recognise that it's like most jobs - you start out doing things "by the book" and you develop your own spin on things as you go along

Deborah
Deborah
Jul 22nd, 2021 01:05

Fantastic
Thats helped me also thank you.

Mary Lawrence
Mary Lawrence
Jul 24th, 2021 04:32

I find that I like to have the scripts as a template. I then adapt them to suit the client.

Shirley Henderson
Shirley Henderson
Jul 24th, 2021 11:11

Hi there Dan, what a lovely generous reply. I am an experience Registered Massage and Hypnotherapist from NZ and sometimes I still feel like Clarissa. I've had multiple positive outcomes for clients and love people in general. Your wise words helped me also so sincere thanks.

Shirley Henderson
Shirley Henderson
Jul 24th, 2021 11:11

Hi there Dan, what a lovely generous reply. I am an experience Registered Massage and Hypnotherapist from NZ and sometimes I still feel like Clarissa. I've had multiple positive outcomes for clients and love people in general. Your wise words helped me also so sincere thanks.

Teena
Teena
Jul 26th, 2021 05:13

Thanks Clarissa for the question, and Dan for a great answer. I too am just starting out, and find I need the script to start with, but as I get my rythm I find I can improvise, it has worked really well so far. Good luck, I'm sure you will do well.

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

2021 Workshops
Learn new skills and meet therapists - book your place at our upcoming workshops.
We Accept

We accept these payment methods

Online Support
Online Support
Live Help
Talk to one of our
helpful advisors live online here or contact us via email here
Customer Reviews

“I find the selection of scripts provided excellent. I am enjoying going through them. I have used several so far on my clients and they work a treat.”

John O'Toole

Join &
benefit

Unlimited Access for Hypnotherapists

Access over 1,300 hypnosis scripts, forms & articles, online therapist support, directory listing and more:

Hypnotherapy Training

Forums

Find a Therapist

We Accept

• We accept these payment methods
How can we help?