Cant visualize

Posted in the Solutions Corner Forum
By Kelly    

Kelly
Kelly
Oct 08th, 2010 12:27
Cant visualize

Hi there,
Ive got a client who really battles to visualize...Ive told him to simply listen to my voice and let me guide him but Im worried that the effect of the messages are not strong because he isnt visualizing them for himself. Also, he is able to reach a deep state but often falls asleep...Im worried this is more because he is bored rather than hypnotised...any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Faith
Faith
Staff
Oct 09th, 2010 02:28
Re: Cant visualize

Hi Kelly
There is a script and MP3 download on Hypnotic World called Unlock your Visualization Ability which has proven successful for a lot of our customers.
Hope this helps.

Richard Scott
Richard Scott
Dec 08th, 2010 06:07

Hello Kelly,

I have had similar clients who claim to not be able to visualise. I ask them to take a walk with me around their own house (under hypnosis) and to describe the journey through their house. They proceeded to walk through their own house, letting me know which piece of furniture is where, and what colour the carpets are.

Upon awakening they still claimed to see nothing. Which sounded like a paradox, to remember so many details about their own house, I would have presumed they would have had to have been remembering and recalling the information from some kind of visual reference.

I had noticed that the clients had very strong control issues, summised through my lines of questioning beforehand, and so adopted a less visual and more progressive relaxation induction. Wherein the client did not have as much to try to visualise.

Anthony T makes reference to clients representational systems and quite rightly mentions that sight is the main system, however there are clients who respond much better to the other systems, auditory (they may be able to recall sounds far better) maybe relaxing to the ticking of a metronome, kinaesthetic (they remember feelings and feel sensations), olfactory or gustatory (they react to smells which illicit emotional responses, or, they taste tastes which sends them off in a regression of sorts).

I have interlaced my more difficult clients scripts with a sensory overload to see which system works best. But if this didnt work to any great extent I have always come back to the progressive relaxations and confusion techniques.

Seems to have worked so far (touch wood).
I hope this has offered some help.

kind regards

Richard Scott

Faith
Faith
Staff
Dec 08th, 2010 04:10

Hi
During my pre-talk I always suggest to clients that if they cant actually see the images that Im talking about then to either think about or remember the sort of scenarios that are being described. I also incorporate auditory, kinesthetic and olfactory descriptions wherever possible and this seems to work well.

I particularly like Richards approach about taking clients on a journey through their house. Even if they claim not to have been able to actually see the furniture, carpets, etc. they are accessing the visual information from a different part of their brain.

Most of us draw upon different representational systems; if you can discover the preferred one and work with this for a while then you should be able to introduce others.

Stephen Dransfield
Stephen Dransfield
Dec 11th, 2010 12:48

Hi Kelly,
dont worry about people visualising, I seldom see anything when Im hypnotised yet I have a very vivid imagination and write short stories in my spare time. I have a client who I did a hypnotic gastric band on. He had 3 one hour sessions, he saw absolutely nothing, told me each time I was taking the mick and hed just been sat there with his eyes shut but he has lost 5 stone in 6 months and he doesnt understand why!! He just has no desire to overeat or eat unhealthily. I now tell clients that if theyre lucky, they will see everything in glorious technicolour, if theyre not lucky, theyll see nothing but it doesnt matter whether they see anything or not, it will still work.
Hope this helps you in your work.
Stephen

Faith
Faith
Staff
Dec 14th, 2010 06:07

Id like to add to this that having always been fascinated by regression I was the first person to volunteer at a course that John Howard (pink books) ran (the day that Princess Diana died). Sitting on a stool in front of the class and not even sure if I was hypnotized (John used a rapid induction) our mentor was suggesting scenarios which, I couldnt see in a visual sense - and I instinctively knew were not applicable to me. For example he took me back to the early days when I first started walking and suggested that my mother and father was there in the room. This instantly felt incongruent because I knew without a shadow of a doubt (and certainly not because I had been previously informed of this) that it was my older brother and sister who first saw me take those first few hesitant steps. I couldnt vividly visualize any aspect of the experience but feel that the information was being drawn from a part of me which had previously been inaccessible.

Jan 21st, 2011 11:27

Just tell them to picture...if they say they cant then tell them to "sense" they are in x imagine what it would feel like, the sounds, the smells ,colours and images.

Using words like sense and imagine and using a "bridge" from one sense to another should allow them to make the internal construct. They migth be might not be aware of the visual element but it will be there. Plus if they believe they cant "visualise" then this will remove the challenge aspect.

"Its not really about visualizing just get a sense of being there and imagine what it would be like"...as you relax a little deeper with each breath...and that sense of actually being there gets stronger....you dont have to do nothing just allow it to happen...imagining the sounds of birds, feeling the cool air on your face...any smells...the colour of the green lush grass beneath your feet..

Another thing is you can overlap the senses in your induction which will help train the senses for creating the inner constructs later.

Susan
Susan
Feb 19th, 2011 10:20

Another technique is to say to the client " perhaps you may be able to see it as a still photograph or in flashing glimpes" or " if you can not visualise this- just feel a sense of it and imagine it as a colour or a shape"

Godfrey Van Rooy
Godfrey Van Rooy
Aug 07th, 2011 11:00

I find this an interesting topic. A lady that has come for Hypno felt that as she wasnt seeing" anything, she must not have been "under". I talked to her about it and mentioned that not everyone sees things, but that they get a sense or a feeling...
I liked some of the replies.

Adel Rawlinson
Adel Rawlinson
Aug 10th, 2011 08:52

A great test I use for this is to get the client to close their eyes and imagine a chair... ask them what colour is the chair, what is it made from? Ask them to open their eyes and ask the question.. did they SEE a picture of the chair or just know what it was like? Instruct them that when you ask them to do the visualisation to do just exactly like they did with the chair. This rules out any confusion. It also gives you a guidance on what sort of language you should use in your session ie visual, kinesthetic etc. I explain that some people are watching the TV in their imagination where as others are listening to the radio. Both work equally as well.

Lizabeth
Lizabeth
Sep 26th, 2011 04:13

This could not psoisbly have been more helpful!

j
J
Aug 20th, 2012 01:08

I had that problem in the early years and just changed the format to "I'd like you to picture...visualize...imagine...or think of...." They have to be able to do at least one. And in the pre-talk I explain that to them and say that if they can't do any of these things then a person may have an IQ of less then 60, after that no problem...

Daniela
Daniela
Jul 21st, 2021 10:00

If your client can't visulize, they have aphantasia. Visual imagery it's not necesary to remember things. Specially your own house. I can tell you with great detail the house that i grew up in, but I still can't see it. If you really want to help your clients, research aphantasia. People with aphantasia are able to think, with their internal monologue, but aren't able to visualize those thoughts. They have no imagery. It's literally called "blind imagination" and "the blind mind".

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

2021 Workshops
Learn new skills and meet therapists - book your place at our upcoming workshops.
We Accept

We accept these payment methods

Online Support
Online Support
Live Help
Talk to one of our
helpful advisors live online here or contact us via email here
Customer Reviews

“I find the selection of scripts provided excellent. I am enjoying going through them. I have used several so far on my clients and they work a treat.”

John O'Toole

Join &
benefit

Unlimited Access for Hypnotherapists

Access over 1,300 hypnosis scripts, forms & articles, online therapist support, directory listing and more:

Hypnotherapy Training

Forums

Find a Therapist

We Accept

• We accept these payment methods
How can we help?