Bullying

Posted in the General Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Forum
By Anne gibson   

anne gibson
Anne gibson
Jan 11th, 2019 05:29
Bullying

can you help me with some advice for working with teenager who is the target of bullying , he is overweight and has always been teased about this but now things have gotten out of control and his mum is very anxious anyway as she lost her husband the childs dad to suicide a few years ago. it is heartbreaking to think what he is going through and I really want as many tips as I possibly can , thank you xx

Julie Oakley
Julie Oakley
Jan 31st, 2019 03:10
Re: bullying

Hi I would try and focus on confidence building and self esteem.
You may also want to try and deal with the weight management issue, as this will have a positive effect on the bullying too.

Maria Page
Maria Page
Feb 01st, 2019 06:19

I agree with Julie, the self confidence and weight issues need to be looked into. Also, its worth considering his mum too if possible. Her anxieties and worries will have a knock on effect to her son, making him more anxious too. With the weight issue, do you know why he is carrying extra weight? Is it protection weight, being over fed by his parent, did something traumatic happen in his past that he is using food for to comfort him? I know you said his father died, did his weight problem occur after this and if so, he may need help overcoming the death of his father.

Mark Stewart
Mark Stewart
Feb 02nd, 2019 03:01

Perhaps you could simply explain to your client that even good people are capable of doing bad things. That bullying speaks more of the lack of moral fortitude of the bully than it points to any weakness of character in your client. Possibly, if the bullying is escalating to the point of making your client unsafe going about his day to day activities, he may want to report it to someone of authority. Make it clear to him that bullying is unacceptable but it is a character flaw, at best, in those doing the bullying and no reflection on those being bullied (your client). You may wish to do this by way of a metaphorical tale or two.

miranda Geens
Miranda Geens
Feb 02nd, 2019 06:01

Hi My advise it to help this boy to set up a shield against the bullying. He must be told under hypnosis that he now hasa shield that from now on will shield that cannot be penetrated by the others. Whatever they say, whatever they do. He does not care about it anymore. The fact that they bully him is their weakness. It shows that they have problems of their own that they want to offload on a weaker member in the group. So by providing him with this shiled he can no longer be hurt. He can be strong the way he is. He does not need to loose waight before. He is strong and he can shield his feelings from the outside so nobody can hurt him anymore. That would be my step one.

miranda Geens
Miranda Geens
Feb 02nd, 2019 06:05

Next session I would start working with him on the Obvious trauma in his life. He should be aware that he is not to blame for his fathers suicide. This should give him the peace of mind that he needs to start working on himself.

miranda Geens
Miranda Geens
Feb 02nd, 2019 06:16

One more thing. Reporting this bullying to the school or to the authorities could seem to a good scenario. But it will not help. You cannot guard the boy all the time. Neither can the police. I have been a teacher now for over 30 years and I know that very few schools have an effective anti-bullying program. I developped one for our school years ago and that system works. All kids benefit from it. The victims and the perpetrators. However it takes a significant amount of effort for the school to do this. The results though are significant. Young people can be taught to become better persons once you know how it is not insurmountable. In the process you will very often find that it is the bully who has the biggest problem. And also this is a child in need for guidance. Often their private situation will be the cause of their behaviour. There are no bad children. Only misguided ones and foremost kids walking around with a lot of pain inside.

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

Forums Index