Hypnosis Scripts, Downloads & Training Since 2000 Hypnotic World

Depression/Anxiety

Posted in the Solutions Corner Forum
By Gail Young   

Gail Young
Gail Young
Dec 28th, 2017 06:08
Depression/Anxiety

Hi I have a client who has been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. She has been suffering from this for about 3 yrs. She has a history of traumatic loss (9 yrs ago - all in a short space of time) and during the trauma and for a few years after, she kept going and coped. Her symptoms started 3 yrs ago with loss of appetite and sleeping problems. The symptoms worsened over time and she was admitted to hospital 3 times this year. She has not had any therapeutic input to date and is on a waiting list for same. When she was in hospital this year she was given 12 sessions of ECT!!!! She felt her mood lift for two days only. She has been out of hospital for 4 weeks and feels that her mood is going down even further. She sleeps on the sofa and used the TV to get over to sleep. She feels empty and dead inside. She has no motivation or enthusiasm for anything. Her self-care is not good, appetite poor and her thought patterns are so negative that she finds it impossible to find a positive in anything. I have had two sessions with her. The first I used the combination anxiety/depression script and the second the negative thoughts script. I have also given her recordings to listen to at home. We have talked about the importance of relaxation in her recovery and the role that negative thinking plays in her illness. Even though on a conscious level she understands this, she believes that she will never get better and this causes her to worry and panic. And of course the worry and panic are feeding into the negative thinking.....and so the cycle continues. She is due for another session next week and I'm hoping that I can get a few tips from this chat. Sorry for the long winded message and thanks for reading it

Julie Flynn
Julie Flynn
Dec 28th, 2017 07:39
Re: Depression/Anxiety

Hi Gail

Julie Flynn
Julie Flynn
Dec 28th, 2017 07:56

It sounds like this lady has a number of problems but there are some things that if I was treating her I would check out further. Firstly, is she on any medication - this can have a significant effect on brain chemistry and some of the side effects can be depression. If so this may need review and management. Secondly, she may also have some hormonal aspects - I have come across this, where older women can be misdiagnosed with a range of symptoms when a hormone imbalance may be impacting - decline in various female hormones with age can can also contribute to depression and it would be wise for this to be checked out too. If these aspects have been checked then there may be Anhedonia, which is effectively a kind of emotional flat lining where there is a complete loss of emotional response and an inability to feel emotions. Should she need hormone therapy or medication review then these need to be in place to support her progress. You can find some stuff on Anhedonia on Jacqueline Kelm's website on the internet, She set up a resource for women with this condition after suffering from it herself - you might find it useful. Depression can be long term and because it impacts as well as can be caused by brain chemistry changes - which I would think would be a factor after ECT ( didn't know they still did this !! ) Depression can take a while to work with, but the key aspect is to try and get some sort of daily routine and functionality in place before trying to tackle the other more complex issues, so maybe work on sleep, motivation, eating regularly and some daily exercise which is known to hep depression before trying to go any deeper at this time. Scripts for most of these can be found on the site

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 01st, 2018 05:37

Thanks for your advice Julie, I really appreciate it. I’ll check out if she has had her hormone levels checked recently. She’s on medication but has said the Consultant has told her she doesn’t have a chemical imbalance and that her symptoms are psychological!!!! But gave her ECT anyway!!!! The main obstacle seems to be her thought pattern. She tends to turn everything into a negative. I’ll have a chat with her about the way forward this week. Thanks again

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 01st, 2018 05:38

Excuse the spelling mistakes, predictive text and mobile are not a good mix

Sharon Quigley
Sharon Quigley
Jan 01st, 2018 08:10

Depression is not something that's going to be solved with pre-written scripts alone. First you need to do a regression to find out what is causing the problem and then develop your treatment plan from there. Assuming it was a childhood or early teen trauma causing it, (but it could be something else recently happened, like someone died or a relationship ended) you will need to change the clients reaction to the trauma (in the same session, don't leave them hanging there) there are several ways of doing that depending on whats causing it. Parts therapy is a good one if its a self-sabotaging thoughts or a phobia of any kind but there are many "tools" you could use. Then two more sessions for reinforcing whats needed for them. (eg. inner child work, boosting confidence, eg. something which you may use scripts) That's just an example your treatment plan will depend on the cause of the depression. If you don't do the regression in the first session and then treat appropriately you are only treating the symptoms and not the cause. That's how I would do it, but of course others might disagree with me as there is always more than one way to solve a problem. I'm assuming the client isn't on medication. If a client is on medication it could be difficult for success with hypnotherapy. Always customise scripts to suit your client don't just read them word for word. Good luck would love to hear how it goes :-)

Sharon Quigley
Sharon Quigley
Jan 01st, 2018 08:25

I would also teach her the importance of daily meditation (even just 5 minutes is better than nothing) n keeping her grounded and the importance of practising mindfulness in daily life.

Glen Mitchell
Glen Mitchell
Jan 04th, 2018 01:59

Hi Gail,

Glen Mitchell
Glen Mitchell
Jan 04th, 2018 01:59

Hi Gail,

Glen Mitchell
Glen Mitchell
Jan 04th, 2018 02:05

There is some great advice given out in this chat so far. The only point I feel is worth adding is about how people often develop depression. I suffered depression in my late teens and early twenties and have lapsed back into both depression and anxiety many times. Recently I learned about behaviour patterns and strategies for dealing with life that were causing my depression. It was caused because when life presented me with either significant problems or significant opportunities for growth, I would be struck by an insidious fear that I would not understand at the time. If I lapsed into depression this was a “safe and familiar problem” that also meant I no longer had to deal with the outside problems. Once I understood this and understood the feelings that led me to depression I learned to control this and to face life in new and exciting ways. I used past traumas, family history of depression and current stress as reasons why I was depressed and had no control over it. When I learned this control and was forced to meet life without this barrier or shield I started to grow again. Believe me when I tell you, as someone who suffered debilitating depression, growing is living!

Glen Mitchell
Glen Mitchell
Jan 04th, 2018 02:05

There is some great advice given out in this chat so far. The only point I feel is worth adding is about how people often develop depression. I suffered depression in my late teens and early twenties and have lapsed back into both depression and anxiety many times. Recently I learned about behaviour patterns and strategies for dealing with life that were causing my depression. It was caused because when life presented me with either significant problems or significant opportunities for growth, I would be struck by an insidious fear that I would not understand at the time. If I lapsed into depression this was a “safe and familiar problem” that also meant I no longer had to deal with the outside problems. Once I understood this and understood the feelings that led me to depression I learned to control this and to face life in new and exciting ways. I used past traumas, family history of depression and current stress as reasons why I was depressed and had no control over it. When I learned this control and was forced to meet life without this barrier or shield I started to grow again. Believe me when I tell you, as someone who suffered debilitating depression, growing is living!

Glen Mitchell
Glen Mitchell
Jan 04th, 2018 02:09

In hypnotherapy I think I would explore the feelings, body signs, thoughts and mental focus that are present when in a depressed state. Then I would explore previous experiences of a happy and euphoric state. I would then get the client to replace one with the other in quick succession as this shows them how much control they can have in the moment. Hypnosis is such a safe place to explore this that it may not work in other forms of therapy. Once the client gets to understand the thoughts and behaviours that accompany both a depressive state and a non depressive state, my hope is that she can find a non depressive state in order to explore deeper, possibly with parts therapy and hypnosis-analysis. I would finish with a structured action plan (most likely after the hypnosis) to make a plan for a future which she wants to be part of!

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 07th, 2018 01:18

Thanks Sharon for your advice and guidance, its greatly appreciated. I didn't do regression because the client already knows the precipitating factors - multiple traumas in succession 9 years ago. Her mood started to get low about 3 years ago gradually and she has been in the state she is in now for about 2 years. Self care is a symptom, lack of motivation, anxiety and fear of being like she is forever. The main difficulty is being able to help her effectively is her thoughts. Her thought patterns which are extremely negative undermines the work we are doing. I gave her a focus wheel last week to complete so that we can break down her goal (to be better) into distinct steps . She feels so out of control and helpless and hope that this will give her some sense of control over her own life. She is on medication and has had ECT but remains flat

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 07th, 2018 01:21

Hi Sharon I forgot to mention that I have reinforced the importance of relaxation with her and given her recordings to listen to at home. She has listened a few times but isn't motivated to do it daily.

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 07th, 2018 01:26

Hi Glen thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. I'll keep parts therapy in mind for when she is more positive. At the minute she cant even remember a happy time (she had 12 ECT sessions which have affected her memory).

Julie Flynn
Julie Flynn
Jan 08th, 2018 03:33

Hi Gail
You're doing good work ! I would keep on with trying to get her functional, this might be quite an intensive process but she needs to start 'doing ' and getting some physical movement in. A tight daily routine - task based if needed so she has a daily timetable and has to complete it, normal stuff like washing, cooking etc. As she is doing this get her to notice how she feels, she will either like doing it or not, and she can talk about these responses. These are emotional responses which she needs to tune into, so that she can build her emotional connection again. I would focus not just on relaxation but sensory experiences in hypnotherapy to try and trigger some emotional connection, so something involving a lot of kinaesthetic and visual imagery, colours etc. You can then work with her about how these made her feel. There is something called colour breathing by Alison Bourne, a very simple but effective exercise for connecting. It sounds as though this lady has shut down on different levels, hard to say whether this is due to the ECT of trauma, but until she can start connecting again she will make limited progress. Starting with emotions may trigger thoughts - sometimes this will by pass the intellectual brain, where she may have shut down. Get her to notice how her moods change, how many times a day she sees something pleasant,
or something that catches her interest, no matter how small it is and note it. A mood diary might help but she may need some motivating towards this. She may be able to bring some photos for you to work with, these may trigger thoughts and emotions, perhaps one that is significant to her. Once you get some expression and connection, you may get a window to accessing some positive emotions which you can build on in therapy. Starting from where she is at, rather than trying to fit therapy around her might be the best way at the moment. She may take some time to be ready for therapy proper. The other thing I would consider at the moment is reinforcing her self esteem, a recording that lets her now she is valued despite all of her problems may give her something to attach to. I would suggest that if you can give her a recording ( it might need tweaking so it fits her) and set a daily task for her to listen to it - maybe event texting you to say she has. With repetition the messages will sink in

Gail Young
Gail Young
Jan 14th, 2018 10:18

Thank you so much for all of your help, I'll certainly be taking it on board. I agree she is not ready for proper treatment at the moment. Ill try some of your suggestions and let you know how it goes

Heather Dubin
Heather Dubin
Jan 18th, 2018 09:13

There is such good advice in this forum. Just a small action such as finding one thing a day to be grateful for (I.e. Her eyes, body parts that function, a pet, the blue sky etc) can start to shift her vibration. Very baby steps. Also, her trying to do something for someone else (I.e. A compliment, opening a door, etc) will also contribute with this shift. Until she shifts this level of vibration she is working on, the ideas of consciously taking other steps can appear too overwhelming for her.

Jason
Jason
Jan 20th, 2018 02:17

Gail,

I have an very long and in-depth knowledge of depression. You hit the nail on the head when you said right now she doesn't even know what happy is, that's true. She can't even remember what it feels like.
I believe that is where you come in. I would do whatever you can to give her a good relaxed, if not happy moment in her week at your session.
I am a meditator and meditation is not recommended for people who are deeply depressed because sitting unable to stop hating yourself is not a positive thing. All reputable meditation books start with this recommendation.
I also would not drudge through any negative histories of any kind. That is all her mind is doing every moment of every day. When you are seriously depressed it's not reasonable, logical or controllable. Her mind is telling her constantly that she will never feel anything but this, and she FEELS like it's completely true.
I would say guided imagery all the way. You should be the moment in her life when she is not under attack by her mind. Making a special place and seriously anchoring it with a finger push or something over and over. You could also consciously ask her about a few good moments in her childhood or whenever (she won't be able to connect with the feelings but she should remember them). Then regress her to experience them fully while in deep hypnosis (using all the senses). You would want to go 3 or more moments (regressing back up in age starting with the youngest) so the first one can feed off the second one and the second one's good feelings and feed the third ... If you could record both so she can then have a resource for a moment free of the incessant depressive thoughts.
All respect to everyone above, however I would just wait for meditation and cause, until she can say "her depression comes and goes".

Sharon Quigley
Sharon Quigley
Jan 29th, 2018 08:40

Hi Gail, I'd just like to share with you one of the many experiences where clients have told me they know the cause of their problem but on regression i found a different cause.
A young lady in her late twenties presented to me with multiple symptoms of depression, and low self-esteem, caused, she said by a bully she had at school when she was aged 14. Never satisified with the reason clients tell me, I proceeded with regression to discover or confirm the cause. The client was very surprised to discover that the cause was not at age 14, but at age 8, when her then school teacher forced her to recite a story to the whole class without telling her beforehand that it had to be recited from memory. The teacher humiliated my client in front of the whole class because she had not memorised the story, which left long-lasting effects on her self-esteem and self-confidence..
If I had treated her for her age 14 issues without doing my own investigation through regression, I never would have known about the age 8 issues as they had been so traumatic for my client they had been forgotten so her symptoms would have remained. All I'm saying is so many times the real reason is so traumatic it has been forgotten. Myself I always use regression for complex issues such as depression, as I find it an essential tool for confirming or discovering the underlying cause of the symptoms.
At the end of the day you are the one who knows whats best for your client, just thought I would share that with you.

Sharon Quigley
Sharon Quigley
Jan 29th, 2018 08:47

HI Gail, I would just like to further add, I would not do a regression if a person has been a victim of any serious trauma such as sexual attack or witnessing a murder, etc. and the regression would cause them serious distress. You will know from your intial questioning if it's OK to do a regression. I asked the client first if there was any reason she would not wish to do a regression to get to the root of the problem.

Noah Scharf
Noah Scharf
Feb 22nd, 2021 12:57

Hi Gail , I'm interested in learning hypnotherapy and becoming a hypnotherapist. Any advice who to learn from? schools , courses etc. ?

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

2021 Workshops
Learn new skills and meet therapists - book your place at our upcoming workshops.
We Accept

We accept these payment methods

Online Support
Online Support
Live Help

Talk to one of our
helpful advisors
live online here
or contact us via
email here

Customer Reviews
“I find the selection of scripts provided excellent. I am enjoying going through them. I have used several so far on my clients and they work a treat.”
John O'Toole
Join &
benefit

Unlimited Access for Hypnotherapists

Access over 1,200 hypnosis scripts, forms & articles, online therapist support, directory listing and more

Hypnotherapy Training

Forums

Find a Therapist

We Accept

• We accept these payment methods
How can we help?