Smoking when drinking more than 2 glasses of wine

Posted in the Quitting Smoking Forum
By Dolina    

Dolina
Dolina
Feb 16th, 2017 03:03
Smoking when drinking more than 2 glasses of wine

Can anyone help me with this. Have you had success with smoking cessation, as its the area i seem to not have much success with, I have a client coming back to see me on Wednesday, as it didnt work for him when i saw him last week. He only smokes when he drinks more than 2 glasses of wine, which is once or twice a week, never smokes in public only when hes alone. He will open a bottle of wine and after two glasses he will move heaven and earth to buy a pack of ten and smokes them all. He's 64 and has been a smoker for a lot of his life, started when he was 16 and his father encouraged him to smoke. He keeps fit and healthy otherwise. The following day he absolutely hates himself for smoking He's South American, dont know if that has any bearing on it? Strong minded person. Divorced 8 years ago and its when this started, as i did timeline to find out why 8 years ago and then guided visualisation. He said that he was angry with his wife about the divorce, and blamed her, but after his hypnotherapy session he felt guilt. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you. :-)

Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor
Feb 19th, 2017 02:12
Re: Smoking when drinking more than 2 glasses of wine

Hi Dolina,
Just a few general observations as I had a similar "irregular" smoker recently.
Does the fact that he smokes when drinking mean he still subconsiously want to smoke and the drink lowers his resistance? Or is this a habit with a deep seated origin?
I always think there is a psychological reason for these low level smoking habits - my client smoked only one a day. It turned out she always felt her mother never gave her enough attention. As the mother was a nurse, what better way to get her attention than indulging in a habit she disliked? Is your client still trying to please his father?

Den Clare
Den Clare
Feb 19th, 2017 08:30

The basic drive behind smoking and drinking is the old pattern which goes right back to baby hood. The mouth is an area of pleasure to the baby (hence thumb sucking) and this programme of "Oral Gratification" stays deep within the sub conscious mind. If this is not de-programmed, it will be extremely difficult to release this habit. Alternatively if everyone sucked a dummy there would be no more obesity and smoking!! Great web site. Den Clare Hypnotherapist since 1980

Den Clare
Den Clare
Feb 19th, 2017 08:32

I have, by the way, stopped many hundreds smoking over the years, the worst case 100 a day!!! Still free from smoking after 15 years. He has saved a few bob!! :) Den

Lori
Lori
Feb 23rd, 2017 11:26

Hi Den, You mentioned in your post there was a great website relating to smoking patterns. Do you have the link? Thanks.

Dolina Hendry
Dolina Hendry
Sep 10th, 2017 02:35

Please accept my apologies for the very late response to your kind and helpful comments.
Den, I have helped people quit smoking, its just this one, thats stubborn and its only when he drinks,
Paul, I think its the deep seated problem, trying to please his father.
Thanks again :-)

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

Forums Index