Alcoholism

Posted in the Addictions Forum
By Catherine Horton   

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Jun 11th, 2016 03:58
Alcoholism

Hi I have a client who is a recovering alcoholic & is doing very well with hypnosis. Part of her believes that she has a disease & she won't ever be rid of it. Does anyone out there have experience of this and ways of working through it? Many thanks Catherine

Debbie
Debbie
Jun 15th, 2016 05:59
Re: Alcoholism

I work in the addictions field. We teach the clients that they need to realize it is a disease and that they will always have to remember that so they don't think they can drink again (because they really can't or they will go right back to alcoholism). I would just remind her it is a disease of the mind and so you treat the mind. Using hypnosis to help her not want to drink would be the best route in my opinion.

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Jun 15th, 2016 07:16

Thanks for your reply Debbie that's helpful. I'm using hypnosis & coaching methods to help her not want to drink alcohol & to build a healthy life instead.Can you recommend any reading around this issue ie alcohol being a disease? Many thanks

Elizabeth Foxcroft
Elizabeth Foxcroft
Jun 22nd, 2016 10:44

Hi Catherine. When I work with addictions I always ensure the client has a support group. The AA are fantastic for recovering alcoholics and have the highest success rate for people staying sober. The hypnosis and coaching work you are doing can work alongside these groups, helping your client be stronger and more motivated to attend the meetings as well as stay sober.

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Jul 13th, 2016 04:18

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your reply & I agree it definitely helps if they have a strong support network. My client does attend AA meetings which has helped them stay sober when they has come up against some tough issues they wanted to resolve. Thanks for your advice.

Brandy
Brandy
Dec 19th, 2016 04:29

Does she have the actual alcoholic gene? My instructor told us that if they have the actual gene then they do have a physical with alcohol and won't ever be able to drink again. If she has that gene then she can embrace that it is true that she has a physical problem with it but that the mind can control her body through hypnosis so that she will remain alcohol free.

If she doesn't have the gene then she doesn't have a "disease" and it can completely be controlled with the mind just like smoking can be. He also told us that people who do not have the gene can eventually drink on occasion if they want so long as whatever reasons they drink for, have been worked out through the use of hypnosis. Hope this helps.

Brandy
Brandy
Dec 19th, 2016 04:30

Here is a link on the gene:
https://www.verywell.com/alcohol-dependence-gene-identified-63181

Wade Osborne
Wade Osborne
Oct 20th, 2019 01:43

Hi my partner is suffering with alcoholism...we have tried just about everything..she has had an medical alcohol detox that has not worked ..how effective is hypnosis and long would it take to see results??the children now have to live with there grandparents..I am struggling to keep my life together...

Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor
Oct 22nd, 2019 03:14

Wade Osborne Has she had any "talking" therapy at all? A detox without addressing the underlying reasons for drinking is unlikely to be successful.

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

Forums Index