Alcoholism

Posted in the Addictions Forum
By Catherine Horton    

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Feb 08th, 2016 02:36
Alcoholism

Hi I've been asked to see a client who has alcohol addiction & is on Antabuse tablets, which make the body intolerant to alcohol, most of the time she is fine & has a good job but 3 or 4 times a year she stops taking the tablets & goes on a 3 or 4 day binge, she had one of these episodes at Christmas & has asked for hypnosis to find out why she drinks.I have successfully treated alcohol reduction but nothing as extreme as this. Any advice would be most welcome!

Faith
Faith
Staff
Feb 09th, 2016 07:17
Re: Alcoholism

Hi Catherine, perhaps you could use Parts Therapy with her to find out what is driving this part of her drink. Alternatively you could set up ideomotor signals to communicate directly with her subconscious mind. On another line, you could hypnotize her and have her imagine herself on one of these binges and use state bound therapy and conversational techniques to work through her issues but that might be a bit extreme if you're not familiar with this procedure. Regressing her to the time she makes the decision to skip her medication and find out what's going through her mind at this time may be an easier route.

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Feb 10th, 2016 05:04

Hi Faith, many thanks for your reply It's been very helpful and I'll let you know how I get on.

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Mar 29th, 2016 05:25

Hi Faith thanks for your help & I am making progress with the client who is an alcoholic I've used regression techniques & they seem to be working, is there any reading material you could recommend about the state bound therapy & conversational techniques you mentioned as this client does like to talk through her hypnosis & I think it may be useful. Thanks catherine

Laurie
Laurie
Mar 29th, 2016 06:48

Hi Catherine! There is a fantastic book out called the 30 Day Solution by Dave Andrews and Jack Canfield. It has fantastic action steps the client can do daily to abstain from alcohol and reprogram her subconscious association of alcohol with pleasure, etc. It's an incredible synthesis of personal growth in connection with changing the habit of alcohol. It's on Amazon and I think it would be helpful to you and your client. You could use hypnosis each week to reinforce the daily wisdom and action steps. I hope this helps you!!! :)

Catherine Horton
Catherine Horton
Mar 30th, 2016 02:25

Hi Laurie, many thanks for the info that sounds really useful I'll have a look. I have many clients who want to stop drinking alcohol to varying degrees so this would be a useful tool to apply with many clients

Catherine
Catherine
Mar 31st, 2016 06:26

You're so welcome! It's a phenomenal book and I hope it brings your clients success; I trust it will!!!

Angela McPherson
Angela McPherson
May 28th, 2019 07:34

Hi Laurie, thanks for the book referral - I will definitely be using it for my clients too!

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

Forums Index