Fear of Mattresses

Posted in the Solutions Corner Forum
By Angela O'Neill   

Angela O'Neill
Angela O'Neill
Jun 27th, 2013 02:33
Fear of Mattresses

I have a client that has a Fear of Mattresses every time she goes anywhere she panics, and sleeps on the sofa, she is ok in her own bed, but not if she's staying in a hotel or a friends house, I've never come across this one before, any ideas? thank you

Richard J D'Souza Hypnotherapy Cardiff
Richard J D'Souza Hypnotherapy Cardiff
Jul 19th, 2013 07:00
Re: Fear of Mattresses

Treat as any other phobia. There will be a background where the beliefs have been formed and consolidated. Common with every fear (phobia) will be an anticipated panic response which she will want to alleviate. There will also be a desire to reassociate with the situation (mattresses).

Question what she thinks will happen if she layed on one to find out her greatest fear. In your treatement, she could re-learn how to be relaxed when lying on a mattress and then gradually extend the time she spends on it e.g. reading whilst lying on a friend's mattress in the day.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Sep 05th, 2019 08:45

I actually dislike mattresses myself, there are just things about mattresses that gross me out and I don’t know why, I always have to have blankets over my bed so I don’t go near touching my mattress, it is weird and strange, I know, but it exists.

Sep 13th, 2019 05:16

Wow I’m the same way. I have serious trouble staying in hotel rooms and I freak out if I accidentally touch my own mattress.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Jan 24th, 2020 04:07

Since I was 8 years old I had a fear of mattresses and I am 44. It started with a tomorrow world programs showing a dust mite when I was 8. I then had to have 12 sheets on my bed and loads of pillow cases. A few other things triggered my phobia. Ages 12 my uncle died and I was given a new bed but it had stains all over it and found out it was my uncles. I now can't sleep in anyone else's bed but my own. My own is silver mattress so no bacteria and mildew can form to create a breeding ground for dust mites, I use allersave sheets, duvets and pillows. These stop dust mites from living on your sheets. If any of my sheets or pillows get stained I just can't deal with it. If I go to hotel or a friend I sleep in clothes and take my own blanket. I have lost friends over this as they think I am calling them dirty and I was not. I don't think I could ever over come this phobia I have just got used to living with it.

Emma Harding
Emma Harding
Jan 27th, 2020 06:07

Oh Jonathon there is absoultely something that can be done to help you. Do you have a hypnotherapist local to you? Find one who offers a free consultation to discuss your needs. Together you will able to work through this, you have already stated you know the trigger (tomorrow's world programme), but in reality, any bed you sleep in is not actally going to do you any harm.... but you know this! We just need to re-frame the way your mind has approcahed it. It thinks it is keeping you safe when actually it's making you miserable. Re-framing your thinking will help more than you know! :) Please do look for a therapist local to you. Let us know how you get on. xx

Mar 22nd, 2020 05:18

IDK why I just can't deal with touching my own mattress let alone someone else's. Even when I was younger, I would get nauseous when my mattress was showing. I had to ask someone to help me cover it up. Years later, I'm still like that. It's like I get nauseous when I look at or touch a mattress.

Reply To This Post
Verification Text

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

Forums Index